Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stressed...

So I'm a little stressed right now! I've come back from the Land of Utah, and am now living in NYC for a short while. And yes now I have to enter the scary world of job hunting in New York. So far I've only been there a week, so I haven't had tons of opportunity to search for jobs. Although I did apply for a job at a place called the Container Store and thought for sure it would be a shoo-in. Well I guess you can't count on the fact that you have plenty of experience, to get you a job because a week later I was sent an email saying that "they didn't have any positions to discuss with me at this time". I wasn't quite sure how to take that...did they fill all the positions (but then why were they still accepting online applications?), or did they not think I was qualified? Well blah, blah, I didn't want to work there anyway! (Well actually I did, because I really need a job in order to buy christmas gifts for people, and it would've been fun) But after that I applied to the same store, different location and hopefully their HR person won't be such a dumbo. I have all this experience in retail and customer service!! Whatever, moving on...

It's nice, but also hard to be applying to all these places online since I will soon have to call all these places to confirm they got my application. It is a cool feature to just be able to apply online though since right now I'm in Virginia for the Thanksgiving holidays and can't be running around in NYC collecting job applications. Although, some places don't accept online applications and I have to go get those. But just for my own record let me list all the places I've applied to online so far:

1. Verizon Wireless
2. Gap/Banana Repulic
3. Circuit City
4. Some place called Pylones
5. Buy Buy Baby
6. Apple Store (I really want this, I applied for like 4 different positions at all 3 NYC stores)
7. Bed, Bath and Beyond
8. Marriott
9. The Container Store


So yea lots of applications filled out. I've basically memorized all my employment info including phone numbers and addresses. I still need to take an application over to J. Crew, because as of a week ago they were hiring, although now, who knows? I should've taken it over already. But I will admit, it's a little intimidating looking for jobs in NYC, or even living there. It's nice not having to worry about a car payment, or rent (I'm living with my sister and brother-in-law, and I babysit for them in exchange for rent). I've always loved visiting New York and just chillin' for a couple days, but it's a whole new ballgame living there. Now that the holidays are coming up, I won't have any money to buy gifts, if I don't get a job soon. I won't have any money for anything. So much for saving money in Alaska. I was able to earn enough for my digital SLR, and my Macbook and to pay off debt and stuff, but now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. (learned my lesson this season, don't get sucked into The North Face!) So if anyone has any more places I can apply to, feel free to suggest something. Oh and I've applied to three temp employment places (the temp employment is apparently slow right now, I assume because of the economy). I've also posted myself on Craig's List as a nanny/babysitter. I wish my harp skills were up to par and then I could hire myself out for weddings and stuff. But being that I was in Alaska for so long without a harp, and now my harp stays in Virginia with my parents, I have barely enough time to get up to speed on Christmas music.

But now it's late, and I didn't intend on staying up so long. I took the pleasure in coming up with the perfect blog address and had to change it. And then I had to write a new blog since I haven't written one in awhile. But now I must stop and go to bed...I think my dad is going to torture me tomorrow and get me up at like 8am >:(

No comments: